Pages

Welcome

I am the most sporadic writer on the planet, but I promise to do my best to keep writing for whoever decides to follow me. I have books with prompts. If nothing else, you'll get random little stories. Consider this part of my New Years Resolutions, six months later.

Thursday, August 2, 2012

Camp NaNo August 2012

On day two of this most interesting challenge, to write 50,000 words in 30 days, I find myself in good position. I have already written over 5,000 words and I think I'm going to write so more in a few minutes. I'm working on Warrior's Rage, which I also called the Elven Fic.

I've decided for NaNo to write this particular rough draft because if ever there was a story I knew front to back and side to side, it's this one.

I also decided to just tell the stupid story as I see fit and I can fix it in the next draft.

Which is why scene (chapter?) 1 is written in a completely different form of pov than scene 2. I intend to just write this, learn about the characters and make notes on my plot ideas as I go along. I have eighteen scenes to write, which means I need to strive for between 2500 and 2750 words per to achieve the stated goal.

I anticipate more to go into the story after I've written the pivotal scenes.

Not to mention I really haven't figured out what they spend fifty years studying at the sequestered palace. I know they don't start studying riding until age 40, and weapons at age 45, but what about earlier? I picture Elves developing through baby/toddler/childhood at the same rate as a Human child, but to then mature through adolescence on the long track.

I'm using Scrivner to work all that out, and I fully intend to use it to organize the drafts later, when I'm in the revisions, so that I can see what I started with, what I've changed, and where I need to go.

Honestly, I think Scrivener is going to be an awesome assistant to writing this novel just because I can stop, write out some thought or idea, and then go back to writing without going crazy. I prefer to write the novel itself in Word at this time, but that's just a personal preference.

I'm sure as I become more adjusted to using Scrivener I'll actually use it more, but the editing features in Word are, at the moment, far superior to Scrivener

No comments:

Post a Comment