Pages

Welcome

I am the most sporadic writer on the planet, but I promise to do my best to keep writing for whoever decides to follow me. I have books with prompts. If nothing else, you'll get random little stories. Consider this part of my New Years Resolutions, six months later.

Wednesday, August 15, 2012

A Thought on Names

My Elven book contains names that I created at the age of 13. Why am I keeping them? Because they fit the characters and can be outlandish enough to be considered Elven names.

The thing is some of my characters have outlandishly long names that are generally saved for formal or 'you're in trouble' moments.

Take the MC and his twin brother.

Trebonistanthilis and Kristonistanthilis

Similar names, identical appearances what's the catch?

They use short names.

Trebon and Kris

Although I didn't realize it at first, as I get to know Trebon specifically I've come to realize that their short names actually say a lot about them.

Trebon, the somewhat speciesist (like racist but with species) younger brother
Kris, the more open minded (in this instance) older brother

Trebon doesn't shorten his name to 'Trey', which he could. I don't remember why originally, but it makes sense now. Trebon grew up in an isolated, nomadic warrior society that puts a lot of emphasis on purity of birth, strong traditions and faith. Kris, while also isolated, was raised with tutors who left him open to the concept that he shares his world with Humans and they aren't all bad.

Later on, Trebon does take on the name 'Trey' for the purpose of hiding. (Long story, Gods and Magic involved) but at the time he does that he also is spending a great deal of time amongst Humans and learning to understand and respect them. He doesn't think of himself as 'Trey', but he's not so snaptastic about being called 'Trey' as he was in the beginning.

Kris, on the other hand, could have used Kriston, but he doesn't. He uses Kris. (Point in fact 'Kriston' was the nickname used by his ultimate namesake before the deconstruction of Elven society occurred) Kris never really had an issue with Humans because he's been raised that way.

It's all in the names, and I never actually realized it. It's why the brothers have names like Kenilias (Ken), Kerilias (Kerry) and Rubelation (Rube), and Trebon's guards are Andalon (Andy) but the other Cailiyan might occasionally be called Cai, he doesn't have a short name he prefers.

I could go into other names and what they say about their characters. (Blog of an Ex-Teenage Superhero comes to mind especially or even AKBF) but I'd rather not since I haven't put as much development into the Blog or AKBF yet that went into the Elven Story.

No comments:

Post a Comment